Douglas to Arthur Range Traverse Route Plan
|Location: Douglas and Arthur ranges, Kahurangi NP||Number of Days: Eight||Grade: Med/Fit|
|Start Location: Aorere Valley Rd, Bainham||Number in Party: Two||Organisation: Private Trip|
|Finish Location: Flora Saddle||Leader: Peter Waworis||Weather: Fine > Heavy rain, high winds|
Proposed Route: As the classic route into Boulder Lake from James Road Right Branch was inaccessible as the bridge over the Aorere river had been washed away in the Dec 2010 floods we planned to start further west from a private road off the Quartz Range road. This gives access to Boulder lake via the Lead Hills (permission to cross land - farmer: Len Rapley Ph 03 5248581).
Last minute change: DoC constructed a swingbridge across the Aorere river in mid Feb so we now plan to use the classic route from James Rd.
- Sat Day 1 - Start 3-4pm - (old plan) Roadend up onto Lead Hills (to Boulder Lake 6hrs 9.2km +1000m). New plan. Start James Rd bridge and walk along track until finding suitable campsite and camp for night
- Day 2 - Complete journey to Boulder Lake and explore area.
- Day 3 - Boulder Lake to Adelaide Tarn 5-6hrs 7km
- Day 4 - Adelaide Tarn to Lonely Lake hut via Anatoki river.
- Day 5 - Lonely Lake hut to Fenella Hut 6-8hrs 10.6
- Day 6 - Fenella Hut up onto Peel range probably camp out
- Day 7 - Continue to Balloon hut.
- Day 8 - Balloon hut via Gordons Pyramid to climb Mt Arthur and back to Arthur hut.
- Day 9 - Arthur Hut to Flora Saddle. Nelson Lakes shuttle to return us to Nelson airport from Flora saddle at 8:45am
From Adelaide Tarn out via Anatoki River to McCallum Road OR longer route via Lake Stanley to Uruwhenua Road.
- From Fenella Hut take Cobb river track rather than Peel range tops
Poor Weather alternatives
- Lay day for bad weather - don't climb Mt Arthur on Saturday
- 2 lay days for bad weather - Balloon hut out to Flora Saddle
- 3 lay days for bad weather - Fenella hut out to Flora Saddle via Cobb river track .
Party Members - Dennis Brown,Peter Waworis(Leader), Sally our third member pulled out due to CHCH earthquake.
|Total Trip km: 95km. Completed|